Measles or rubeola is a disease caused by a virus called paramyxo. Measals is mainly a respiratory infection and mostly affects children but occasionally strikes adults. The virus spreads easily through the air by sneezing and the symptoms appear 10 to 14 days after the virus infects a person. The paramyxovirus can live on surfaces for several hours. As the infected particles enter the air and settle on surfaces, anyone within close vicinity can become infected. Also, drinking from an infected person’s glass, or eating in the same utensils of the infected person, increases your risk of infection. Thus, a non-immune person could be infected simply by breathing the infected air. If you observe any of the characteristic signs of measles in your child, the first thing to do is see your doctor. Consult a physician and start your Measles treatment at home.
People imposed with measles virus shows no signs of illness for about first ten days. During this period, high fever appears, and is often accompanied by some other signs red eyes. Since measeles is caused by a virus, it is easily transmitted in the early stages through droplets of moisture discharged through coughs and sneezing by the infected person. The rubeola virus also attacks people with weak immunity. It could result from malnutrition, vitamin A deficiency, bad food habits, and unhygienic living conditions. Remember once a person is affected with measles, he/ she develops immunity to this disease for life. Everyone can get this disease at some point in their life. But it usually occurs in Children and babies. Also, it primarily occurs in unvaccinated children. Vaccination is the only prevention against this rubeola virus. So, your child must be vaccinated around the first year. This vaccine is often combined with two other vaccines of rubella and mumps. You can also do Measles treatment at home using some remedies given in below sections.
What are Measles Symptoms ?
The first symptom of meseals may appear in 7 to 14 days after virus infection. The rashes may be of small round spots on the skin initially in the color of pink and they change to dark red color as times passes. These rashes initially appear on the sides of the face and the neck. But slowly it spreads all over the body. Other related symptoms of measles include high fever which may rise to even 104 degrees in acute cases, sore throat, running nose, continuous dry cough, redness and watering of the eyes, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and delirium in severe cases. Then How to cure Measles. Is there any Treatment for Measles ? There is no specific medicine to kill the measles virus. But to minimize complications and relieve the above measle symptoms, you can try some simple home remedies for measles.
Home Remedies for Measles
Consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment of Measles. But doctors will give treatment for fever, cough, or other symptoms. So try these home remedies to get rid of measles completely.
How to Cure Measles with Neem leaves
Neem or Indian lilac has plenty of antibacterial and anti-allergenic properties. Hence it can be very helpful in relieving itching that often occurs with the rash. The neem leaves or twigs can be used to treat several ailments. Neem is the best Measles treatment at home.
- First of all, Grind a handful of fresh neem leaves into a fine paste.
- Now apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Let it dry on its own and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this once daily for two weeks.
- Soak a handful of neem leaves in water and place the water under the sun for several hours.
- Wash your skin with this water because neem water will have a soothing effect on your skin.
- Repeat this once daily for two weeks to see better results.
Otherwise, you can consume a pea sized amount of neem paste or drink neem juice to get rid of measles rash.
Barley is a rich source of zinc that boosts up the healing process. It is used to cure skin irritation and itching. Also, barley is extremely beneficial for measles treatment as it is packed with Minerals, vitamin C, and Antioxidants.
- Mix one cup of barley in three cups of water and boil it.
- Now, simmer the mixture on low heat until the water is decreased to half.
- Let the water cool and then strain it.
- Optionally, you can also add salt and sugar for taste.
- Finally, drink two to three glasses every day for about a month.
Turmeric is another beneficial ingredient in the treatment of measles. It has both antiseptic and antioxidant properties. So, it is very effective in reducing the symptoms of measles.
- Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm milk. Drink it twice daily for a month.
- Otherwise, grind equal amounts of tamarind seeds and turmeric root into a fine powder. Have this mixture three times a day in a dosage of 350 to 400 grams for two to three weeks.
Amla – Best medicine for Measles
Since Amla is rich in antioxidants and an excellent source of Vitamin C, it is used as the best medicine for measles rash. Amla or Indian Gooseberry also enhances the immune system. It also works effectively for getting rid of itching and burning sensation during measles.
- Mix one teaspoon of amla juice in one and a half cup of water. Drink it twice daily for one month. Because it relieves the itching and burning sensation during measles.
- Otherwise, boil one cup of dry amla in 4 cups of water for about 10 minutes. Let it cool for some time and use this water to wash your body. Repeat this twice daily to get rid of Itching from measles.
Measles Treatment at Home
Can Bitter Gourd cures Measles ?
Bitter gourd has strong antioxidant properties that help resist various symptoms of measles. Also, it has vitamin C, iron, potassium, zinc, and dietary fiber, which are required to boost immunity and speed up the healing process. Hence it is the best measles treatment.
- Take a fresh bitter gourd and extract the juice from it.
- Mix one tablespoon of bitter gourd juice with one teaspoon of honey and one-half teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Drink this mixture for two to three weeks twice a day.
Coconut water is the best Measles Treatment. While you or your family members were suffering from measles, you should drink plenty of coconut water every day until you recover completely. Because coconut water will keep the body hydrated and also save us from developing fatigue due to loss of energy. The reason is that coconut flesh has several nutrients that help cleanse the body. Also, it is rich in antioxidants that help promote a speedy recovery from measles.
Since the loss of appetite and thirst are the most common symptoms of measles in adults, consuming oranges regularly contribute to get rid of measles. It boosts immunity because of its rich source of Vitamin C. Also, the citrus flavor helps in restoring the taste and improves the appetite. It also helps in maintaining the water level in the body and reduces the risk of dehydration. So, drink fresh orange juice at regular intervals throughout the day.
Eggplant seeds have antioxidant properties that help in strengthening the immune system. Also, these contain a good amount of zinc and vitamin C that speeds up the healing process. The people who were suffering from measles should take about half to one gram or at least a quarter ounce of eggplant seeds daily for about three days.
Measles Home Treatment
- A person suffering from measles will require a lot of rest to recover. Hence allow the patient to sleep for hours and restrict all physical activities.
- If the patient finds bright light disturbing, then keep the lights low or allow them to wear sunglasses.
- Patients should avoid watching TV and reading books which would increase restlessness in the eyes.
- Make sure that the room and the surroundings of the patient are clean and tidy.
- Avoid spicy foods and junk food.
- Allow them to drink plenty of water, fruit juices, and herbal tea to replace the fluids that were lost by fever and sweating.
Complications for Measles in Adults
Measles can lead to some life-threatening complications. People cannot get measles more than once. The risk of complications is higher in children and adults with a weak immune system. Hence choose the best measles treatment from your doctor and detect it early.
The complications associated with Measles are
- Ear infections.
- A decrease in blood platelets.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Miscarriage or preterm labor.
Prevention of Measles Disease
Measles is a disease that our body will fight on its own and cured on its own in some time. There are no drugs available to fight the virus but the only useful treatments are those that help relieve signs and symptoms of measles. But doctors prescribe medicines to cure a sore throat or a cough, or some antibiotics to curb bacterial infection, analgesics to reduce fever. They may also guide Vitamin A supplements to reduce the risk of brain infections. Immunizations can help prevent a measles outbreak. The MMR vaccine is a three-in-one vaccination that can protect you and your children from the measles, mumps, and rubella. It is about 95% effective in preventing measles. Doctors usually give the first dose of the measles immunization at 12-15 months of age. The second dose of the immunization is given when the child is 4 to 6 years old.