Exercises are the very effective medicine for most of the pains. Knee Joint pain is one of those that can be cured with the physical workout. The causes of knee pain may be various like overweight, over straining the knees, arthritis, etc. You can fight against those causes with the best knee pain exercises listed below.
List of the Best Knee Pain Exercises
Any disturbance in the bones of knees leads to a pain in the knees. So, start taking care of your knees before you get the pain. Because knees are the only responsible part in your body to make you stand properly. So, let us study how to get relief from knee pain with a regular workout.
Also Read: Weight Loss Exercises
- Hamstring curls.
- Wall Squats.
- Straight Leg Lift.
- Leg Presses.
- Calf Raises.
- Wall Hamstring Stretch.
The Hamstring curl is one of the very easy and effective knee pain exercises. It helps in relieving back pain, improves leg strength, flexibility, and decreases the risk of sciatica. The hamstring exercise helps in the smooth functioning of legs, knees, back, and hips.
- Lie on your stomach with your hands on the floor.
- Now, lift your feet up keeping the knees on the floor.
- Keep your back straight and knees close together.
- Lower your feet back to the floor.
- Repeat the same procedure for a few times.
- You can also use weights for this exercise.
- Hold dumbbells between your feet and lift them.
- Or you can tie the weight belts to your feet and perform the same lifts.
Do squats help knee pain? Yes of course! Many have a misconception that one should not do the squats with aching knees. But squats help you to reduce the pain in knees faster.
- Stand straight on your feet with the hip distance apart.
- Lower down by bending your knees. Maintain a natural arch in the back.
- A 90-degree angle should be present between the knees and legs.
- Hold the position for a few seconds and come back to the original standing position.
- Repeat the procedure for four to five times.
Also Read: Other uses of Squats
Single Leg dip
The single leg dip is one of the knee strengthening exercises. This exercise improves the strength of legs. It helps in toning and tightening the triceps. The process of raising one leg engages the glutes, hamstrings, and quads. Also, it strengthens the lower body and upper body too.
- Sit down on the floor bending your knees.
- Place your hands behind you with your fingers in the forward direction.
- Lift your hips up and raise one of your legs.
- Start bending the elbows in the forward direction.
- Now, lower your body so that your glutes touch the floor.
- Then lift the body up by straightening the arms.
- Come back to the starting position and repeat the same procedure.
Also Read: Reduce Fat From Thighs
Straight Leg Lift
The straight leg lift is one of the exercises to strengthen knees. The leg lift exercise offers a lot of benefits. It may not melt fat but tone up the lower body, abs, thighs, etc. It also massages the abdominal muscles. The leg lift exercises improve the flexibility and strength of the hip flexors.
Read More: Exercises for Diabetes.
- Lie on your back on the floor.
- Bend your knees and rest your feet on the floor.
- Now, make one of the legs straight on the floor and raise another leg up.
- Maintain the lifted leg straight.
- Hold the position for a few seconds.
- Come back to the normal position.
- Repeat the exercise for the other leg.
Massage is one of the knee pain remedies. The anterior knee pain quickly responds to a perfect massage. It helps to boost the bone strength and reduces the pain and stress.
It is a common thing in a physician’s prescription to have a massage for any pain. Some other advantages of massaging are the following.
Read More: How to Reduce Arm Fat?
Advantages of Knee Massage
- Relaxes the muscles.
- Improves the blood circulation.
- Softens the muscles.
- Reduces the cramps.
- Maintains a normal blood pressure.
- Improves the flexibility of joints.
- Releases the endorphins.
The step up exercise is an excellent knee pain treatment. It improves the symmetry of your leg muscles and also the balance.
This exercise improves the explosive leg power. Step ups save your lower back and improve the squat and deadlift strength.
- To do the step up exercise, you need a chair or a short bench.
- Firstly, step your right foot on the bench and your left leg on the floor.
- Now, pressing the right foot, lift the left leg up. Such that your both legs will be on the bench.
- Return to the starting position where both your legs are on the floor.
- Repeat the same procedure for the left leg.
Read More: Muscle Building Foods
Calf Raising is one of the knee pain exercises. The calf raising exercises improve the muscular strength. The calf muscles are two in number. They are the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles.
The calf raising exercise increases the strength of these two muscles. It also gives definition to the lower leg and improves the appearance.
- You should do this exercise on the steps.
- Firstly, stand straight on the edge of a step.
- Pull your abdominal muscles in and keep your heels hanging over the edge.
- Raise the heels to some height such that you stand on your toes.
- Now, lower the heels and come back to the normal position.
- You will feel a stretch in the calf muscles and the knee area.
Wall Hamstring Stretch
The Hamstring stretching exercises improve the flexibility, loosens the tight hamstrings. It is also a stress reliever. The hamstring and glutes stretches when combined, are good for the lower back pain. So, you can add this to the list of knee pain exercises. The basic hamstring stretch procedure is here.
- Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you.
- Keep your upper body straight.
- Now, bend forward and keep your hands straight.
- Try to touch the foot toes with your hands.
- Ensure that there is no bend in the legs.
- Take a full breath and release the position slowly.
- Come back to the normal position and repeat.
Instant Relief from Knee Pain
The above list of exercise provide you the best results for knee muscle pain. But if you follow some additional tips along with the knee pain exercises you can get the faster results. These other tips are the basic ones that you can follow easily at home and treat knee pain.
- Take a healthy and nutritious food that improves the strength of knee joints.
- Make use of the knee caps regularly to get relief from knee pain.
- Use the knee pains creams and gels for massaging.
- Avoid the over usage of pain relievers and drugs.
Get Your Body Moving
Drink Lots of Water