Tonsillitis is the inflammation of the tonsils which are a pair of lymph nodes or oval-shaped tissues located at the back of our throat. The tonsils help to make certain microbes do not enter into the body. Thus, they can become infected from time to time and causes severe pain. Don’t worry; you can heal this pain using Home Remedies for Tonsillitis.
Tonsils Treatment at Home
Tonsils are caused by a number of bacteria and viruses. One common bacteria that cause tonsils is streptococcus. Tonsillitis can occur at any age; children are more likely to catch this disease. Usually, it takes three days to recover from the infection, but sometimes even a week to get relief from the tonsil pain.
The Common Symptoms of Tonsillitis include Sore Throat, Fever, Stiff Neck, Runny nose, Coughing & Sneezing, Headache, Bad breath, Difficulty swallowing, swollen glands, etc. Tonsils spread quickly from one person to another. Because the virus is easily transmitted in the air through droplets from coughing or sneezing.
So, you should treat this highly contagious disease immediately. It doesn’t mean that you should opt the painkillers. One can easily treat acute tonsillitis at home. Hence, go through the following sections of the article to know the best Home Remedies for Tonsillitis.
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis
Allergies, dry air, and outdoor pollution, as well as illnesses like the common cold, flu, measles, chickenpox, etc., can all cause sore throats. A swollen or a sore throat is very common in people with tonsils. So, ease the pain by using these Home Remedies for Tonsillitis before turning to prescriptions or even over-the-counter painkillers.
Since tonsillitis is extremely contagious, proper care should be taken to maintain high levels of hygiene to prevent contracting the illness. Following are the list of best acute tonsillitis treatments at home.
Gargle with Salt Water
Gargling with warm salt water is the best Home remedy for Tonsils. Because the warm water helps in soothing the pain and salt help in killing the bacteria or virus and also reduce the inflammation.
- Mix one teaspoon of salt into a 236 mL glass of warm water. Gargle the
- Now, gargle the salt water and spit it out.
- Repeat this process to relieve a sore throat caused by tonsillitis.
Drink Plenty of Fluids
Drinking plenty of fluids is also the best option regarding Tonsillitis cure. It not only keeps you hydrated but also soothes the throat and helps in washing away the bacteria or irritants lingering at the back of your throat and around the tonsils.
How to treat Tonsils with Turmeric
Turmeric can also fight off tonsillitis infection and relieve irritating symptoms due to its strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities. Hence, it is one among the best Home Remedies for Tonsils.
PCOS diet plan for teenage girls
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of ground black pepper to a glass of warm milk.
- Drink this at night before going to bed for two to three days to speed up the healing process.
- Alternatively, you can add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water or salt water. Gargle with this for several times a day, and also before going to bed. It will help get rid of the inflammation and soreness.
In the initial stages of tonsils, you are likely to suffer severe throat pain because the tonsils have got enlarged with the infection. At that time, applying an ice pack helps in reducing the inflammation. Ice cubes are the one among the best Tonsillitis home remedies. Also, this is the simplest method to treat the tonsil infection.
- Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a cloth.
- Now, place this cloth on the swollen tonsils for about 10 to 15 min.
- Repeat this process 5-6 times in a day.
The Antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties present in the lemons helps in reducing the infection and also the inflammation. Lemons also improves our body’s resistance to infections because of its rich Vitamin C content.
- Squeeze out the juice from a fresh lemon.
- Now, in a glass of lukewarm water, add the lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and one teaspoon of honey.
- Stir well and drink it slowly twice daily for few days or until your pain has gone.
Otherwise, sprinkle a small amount of salt and pepper on a slice of lemon and then suck on the lemon slice. It helps in forcing the phlegm out of your throat. Repeat this remedy twice or thrice a day for several days.
Tonsillitis Home Remedies
Tonsillitis is generally treated by over-the-counter pain medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. In addition to this, the best course of action for swollen tonsils would be the Natural remedies. The goal of home treatment of tonsillitis caused by a virus is to manage the symptoms as the body fights off the infection. Home treatment also eases the discomfort of sore throat and most of the symptoms. So, try these Home Remedies for Tonsillitis.
Basil leaves to cure Tonsillitis
Basil is another very effective home remedy for tonsillitis due to its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, its healing properties and soothing qualities will help reduce swelling and pain as well as speed up the healing process.
- Add 10 to 12 basil leaves to one and one-half cups of water.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add the juice from one lemon to the solution. Optionally, add one teaspoon of honey to sweeten it.
- Drink this three times a day for two to three days.
Most of the people prefer ginger tea to treat an infected throat. Because this remedy was used by our grandparents. The reason behind this is that ginger is both anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. So, crush a small piece of ginger into a cup of boiling water and let steep until the beverage is comfortable to drink. Drink it daily for several days or until your symptoms have gone completely.
Peppermint to cure Enlarged tonsils
Mint is believed to have antimicrobial powers, hence it can effectively kill bacteria and viruses that cause tonsillitis. Plus, the menthol in the mint soothes the irritated mucous membranes and gives you relief from many of the symptoms.
- Boil one glass of water with a handful of peppermint leaves.
- Boil it until the water is reduced to half the quantity and strain it.
- Now, add one teaspoon of honey, stir well, and drink it while it is still warm.
- Finally, drink this soothing drink at least two or three times a day for a few days.
- Otherwise, you can also gargle with mint-flavored mouthwash several times a day for as long as you have tonsillitis.
The high mucilage content present in the figs help in reducing the pain and soreness caused by the tonsils. Hence, these are the best home remedies for Tonsillitis.
Iron rich foods for pregnant women
- Take some fresh figs, boil them in water and mash them.
- Add some honey to it and eat it once or twice a day for several days.
- It will quickly heal the swollen tonsils.
- Otherwise, boil some fresh figs and prepare a paste by grinding them. Now, apply this paste and massage the external part of your throat. Allow it to dry and then wash it off with warm water.
So, these are the best Home Remedies for Tonsils. If your symptoms still persist, then visit the doctor immediately.