Hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm. As the diaphragm contracts, it causes you to breathe air in very quickly, followed by a sudden closure of your vocal cords. It results in some sound called Hic! Hic!… This is the reason behind Hiccups. Hiccoughs may result from a large meal, sudden excitement or after having some alcoholic beverages. For most people, hiccups usually lasts for only a few minutes. But in rare case only, these may continue for months. Hence, it results in malnutrition and exhaustion. However, they may persist and become a nuisance when you’re in public, affects our sleep, eating, or everyday life. So, to save yourself from this difficulty, try the following Home remedies for Hiccups. Hence, read the complete article to know the hiccup causes and treatment.
Read more: Health benefits of pomegranate
Home Remedies for Hiccups
Hiccup is also known as synchronous diaphragmatic flutter (SDF) or singultus in medical terms. The characteristic sound of a hiccup is the only sign. But sometimes, there may be a slight tightening sensation in your chest, abdomen or throat that precedes the sound. Everyone can get this at some point but most hiccups will go away on their own. If hiccoughs last for a while, it could be a symptom of some conditions like Pneumonia or High toxin levels in the body due to kidney failure. In some cases, hiccups may be a sign of an underlying medical condition. If the hiccups are caused by an underlying condition, treating that condition may help you to get rid of them. Small babies can also get these at some time. If your baby has hiccups, it could be because he or she has swallowed too much air while feeding. So hold your baby against the shoulder and pat gently on the back.
When you are in public, you might have to use some methods to control the hiccuping. Because hiccups can be annoying and embarrassing when in public. Don’t worry there are many home remedies for Hiccups. So, follow the given emergency action to stop hiccups in public places. Press the palm of your hand with the thumb of your other hand. The harder you press, the better. Alternatively, you can squeeze the ball of your left thumb between the thumb and forefinger of the right. The discomfort is a distraction that affects your nervous system and may put an end to the hiccups.
How to Get rid of Hiccups
Drink Water to cure Hiccups
Drinking water is the best hiccups treatment at home. Many people look to a glass of water as a hiccup cure. Simply take 9 or 10 quick sips of water in a row. Because when you are gulping a drink, rhythmic contractions of the esophagus revoke the spasms of the diaphragm. You can also gargle for 1 minute with water to keep hiccups at bay. You can see better results when you use a straw to drink water. No one really knows why this remedy works, but it’s a kind of like that you are swallowing down your hiccup. For this, put a straw in a glass of water, close your ears with fingers and gulp down the water.
If this doesn’t work for you, you may try two straws instead of one. Place one straw inside the glass as usual and the other straw pressed up against the side of the glass on the outside. If straws are not available at that moment, there is also another option to stop hiccups. Another proven remedy for stopping hiccups is drinking water without using hands. Place a glass of water on one chair and sit on another chair in front of it. Bend down and drink as much as water until your hiccups stop without using your hands or tilting the glass.
Drink Upside Down
Drinking a glass of water can shock your body and stop hiccups. But when you drink water upside down, you can see the better and quick results.
Home remedies for Hypertension
- Fill a glass with cold or normal water.
- Bow down at the waist and put your head down.
- Now drink the water from the opposite side of the glass than you would normally.
- Repeat this process to cure hiccups.
Try out the paper towel trick
Take a glass of water and place a single layer of paper towel or a napkin over the cup. Now drink the water through the paper towel until the water is gone. The idea is that you have to pull harder with your diaphragm to suck up the water thereby stopping the hiccups.
Hiccups Treatment at Home
Breathing into a Paper bag
Breathing into a paper bag is one among the best home remedies for Hiccups. Because this remedy increases the amount of carbon dioxide in our body, making the diaphragm contract more deeply to bring in more oxygen. For this take a small paper bag and tightly press it around your mouth. Now breathe slowly and deeply into the paper bag.
Hold your Breath
Holding your breath is one among the best Home remedies for hiccups. Because it increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream thereby it distracts the mind and stops the hiccups. First of all, take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can without letting any air out. Now exhale mildly in a controlled manner. Repeat this process until the hiccups stop.
Stop Hiccups Instantly
You can stop your hiccups instantly by following this home remedy for hiccups. For doing this, you have to use your thumbs and middle fingers of both palms. First of all, use both thumbs to pinch your nose shut, press inward, and close your nasal passage air tight. Now plug your ears as tight as possible with the middle finger. Finally, close your eyes, then take a deep breath and hold it as long as possible.
Burp, the best medicine for Hiccups
Burping is the best remedy for hiccups but helps battle with it. Swallow as much as air until you burp. Now the air through the mouth comes out automatically as a burp. Hence the vagus nerve gets reset and stops hiccups.
Bite a pencil and drink water
Take a pencil and place it horizontally between your teeth. Now drink a glass of water with the pencil still in your mouth. Drink as much of the water as you can until your hiccups disappear and make sure that the pencil doesn’t fall out.
Natural Remedies for Non-stop Hiccups
Stop Hiccups with Sugar
Sugar is one among the best Home remedies for Hiccups. This remedy is effectively used for toddlers and young children. Adults can also use this remedy to cure non-stop hiccups. Swallowing sugar stimulates the vagus nerve and makes the body forget all about the hiccups. Because the graininess of the sugar slightly irritates the esophagus, thereby causing the phrenic nerves to reset themselves.
- For this, take a spoon and fill it with white or brown sugar.
- Now hold the spoon in your mouth for about five seconds.
- Don’t chew the sugar and allow it to dissolve slowly.
- Finally, after swallowing take a sip of water.
The vinegar is another effective and best home remedy for hiccups. The reason is that the sour taste of vinegar helps in distracting the mind, which helps in getting rid of hiccups. You can use either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar or malt vinegar for stopping hiccups. Simply, swallow 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar, followed by a glass of water. Otherwise, mix 1 teaspoon of vinegar with water in a glass and swallow it slowly till hiccups stops.
Bite a piece of Lemon
The sour taste of lemon overcomes the irritated nerves and hence makes your hiccups disappear. Put a little salt on a small piece of lemon and then suck the juice out of the lemon slowly. Otherwise, put 1/2 teaspoon of undiluted lemon juice in your mouth. Alternatively, mix the juice of a fresh lemon in a half glass of water and drink it to stop hiccups.
Cardamom to stop Hiccups in Adults
Cardamom is one among the best home remedies for Hiccups in adults. Because it consists of some muscle-relaxing properties and hence stops hiccups.
Reduce pimple redness in a day
- Mix a teaspoon of cardamom powder in a glass of hot water.
- Place it aside for 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink the water slowly until hiccoughs stop.
Have some Peanut Butter
Peanut Burrer is one among the best Home Remedies for Hiccups. Because the sticky and gooey consistency of peanut butter interrupt the breathing pattern when we try to swallow it. This works great in stopping the continuous hiccups.
- Place a teaspoon of peanut butter in your mouth.
- Hold it for a few seconds, then swallow it without chewing.
- If required, drink a glass of water.
Yogurt Remedy for Hiccups
Mix one cup of yogurt with a teaspoon of salt, stir it thoroughly until the salt dissolves completely. Have the yogurt slowly, this will help stop your hiccups.
Mustard seeds being a part of cooking since ages has many health benefits. The seeds also act as a natural remedy for Hiccups.
- Take ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds in a bowl.
- Now add ½ tsp of clarified butter to it.
- Mix them well.
- Swallow the mixture to get a quick relief from hiccoughs.
Best ways to remove upper lip hair at home
Stop Continuous Hiccups with Easy Tricks
- Avoid overeating and eating in a hurry. Take your own time, chew your food properly, and eat slowly.
- Get Scared Silly: Having someone surprise you can overcome the vagus nerve and put an end to hiccups.
- Take a deep breath and then drink a glass of water.
- Distract your mind by singing or laughing out loud as a hiccough cure.
- Cough Loudly: Try coughing loud around the time a hiccup should be coming up, or when you feel it coming up.
- You can also stop hiccups by alerting your body. For this, lie down for a long period and stand up suddenly. Otherwise, stand for an extended period and then lie down suddenly.
- Just ask a friend to tickle you. Because the tickling sensation will completely distract you from your hiccups and you’ll forget all about it.
- Otherwise, take a cotton swab and start tickling the soft palate of the roof of your mouth. Doing this remedy may cure continuous hiccups.
- Pull your tongue out for 5 seconds and hold it with fingers. Because sticking out your tongue and pulling may stop hiccups.
- Avoid spicy foods as they irritate the lining of the esophagus and stomach. These may also cause acid from the stomach to leak into the esophagus thereby causing hiccoughs.
- Avoid beer or carbonated soda, especially if they are cold. Because the low temperature when combined with the bubbles, creates a variety of irritations that could set off your diaphragm.
So try these Home Remedies for Hiccups to get quick relief. If the hiccoughs remain for more than few hours, then you should consult a doctor and seek a medical advice.