In the world of deadlines, night shifts, work stress, irksome bosses, late nights, traffic jams, oversleeping or short sleep schedules and constantly being on the move, we all are dealing with splitting headaches now and then. Headache can be caused by many problems such as physiological changes in the head, lack of water in the body, constriction of blood vessels, genetic causes, abnormal neuron activity, excessive smoking, excessive drinking, overuse of painkillers, neck strain, etc. As it is a common problem, there are many over-the-counter medicines or painkillers available on the market which helps in get rid of Headache. But these drugs can cause more harm and side effects than benefits. There are many natural remedies you can try at home to relieve headaches and migraines. Read the complete article to know the Best Home Remedies for Headache.
Home Remedies for Headache
Headaches are classified into three main categories such as tension headaches, migraine headaches, and cluster headaches. Headaches are characterized by a feeling of tenseness in the neck, shoulder, and scalp whereas migraines are basically pulsating headaches, often on one side of the head. A headache is a good indicator that your body is missing something. The reasons may be you need to take a breather, drink some water or change the way you eat. There is no need of a doctor’s prescription always to treat your headaches. People may often find relief in other ways without medications. So I advise you to follow these 10 Home Remedies for Headache which will save a lot of money. After going through this, you can get the answer for How to cure Headaches at home.
Dehydration can often cause headaches. Because the lack of water in your body leads to reduced blood and oxygen flow to the brain. As soon as you feel a headache coming on, try drinking a glass of cool water. If the headache is caused by dehydration, drinking a glasss of water can ease or cure headache within minutes.
Ginger is one of the best home remedies for headache. It helps in reducing the inflammation of blood vessels in the head thus providing relief from the pain. And since it stimulates digestion, it also helps quell the nausea which occurs during migraines.
- Mix equal parts of ginger juice and lemon juice. Drink it once or twice a day.
- Alternatively, make a paste of one teaspoon of dry ginger powder, and two tablespoons of water and apply on the forehead for a few minutes.
- You can also boil ginger powder or raw ginger in water, and inhale the vapor.
- Chew one or two pieces of crystallized ginger candy.
Basil works as a muscle relaxant, making it a helpful treatment for mild headaches caused by tense muscles. Also, it has calming and analgesic effects.
- Take three or four fresh basil leaves, put in a cup of boiling water and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- You can also add a little honey optionally and then sip the tea slowly.
- Alternatively, boil one tablespoon of basil leaves or a few drops of basil oil to a pot of boiling water and carefully lean over the bowl to take in the steam.
- Otherwise, chew some fresh Tulsi leaves or massage your forehead with basil oil mixed with a base oil.
The Peppermint oil is one of the best Home remedies for headaches. It has an excellent calming and soothing effect that eases the discomfort and clears your mind. Peppermint Oil is the quick pain reliever and can be applied to various places of your body where the pain arises. If your skin is a sensitive one, then dilute it with a bit of olive oil or water.
- Massage your forehead and temples with the peppermint oil.
- Otherwise, put some crushed fresh peppermint leaves on your forehead.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a steam treatment by adding a few drops of peppermint oil to a small pot of boiling water.
- Finally, Inhale the steam for a few minutes to get quick relief from a headache.
How to Cure a Headache
Headache Relief using Cloves
Cloves can be used in many ways to reduce the pain of headache since it is having a cooling and pain-relieving properties.
- Crush a few cloves gently and put them in a sachet or a clean handkerchief. Inhale the smell of the crushed cloves whenever you have a headache until you get some relief from the pain.
- Otherwise, put 2 drops of clove oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil and gently massage your forehead with it.
- Add few drops of clove oil to one teaspoon of sea salt and two teaspoons of coconut oil and rub this mixture on the forehead and temples.
Use Cinnamon to cure Headaches
Cinnamon helps in reducing the headaches especially those strike in combination with the common cold.
- Make a thick paste by grinding some cinnamon sticks into a powder, and adding some water to it.
- Now apply it on your forehead or temples and lie down for about 30 minutes.
- Finally, wash it off with lukewarm water.
Otherwise, you can also make a soothing drink by adding two teaspoons of powdered cinnamon to a cup of hot milk. Stir in a teaspoon of honey for sweetness optionally and drink it.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apples and Apple Cider vinegar one among the Home Remedies for Headache had attributes that balance the acidic levels and alkaline in your body thereby reducing the pain. As soon as you feel the beginning of head ache, eat an apple with skin with some salt and drink some warm water after that. Alternatively, you can add two cups of Apple cider vinegar to hot bath water. It draws excess uric acid out of the body and provides relief from arthritis, headache, joint pain, etc.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water (half cup) and boil the mixture in a closed vessel.
- Remove from heat, hold a towel or a blanket over your head and slowly inhale the steam.
- After the process has done, use a towel to pat your face dry and drink a glass of water.
- This remedy will provide instant relief from sinus headaches.
If you have woke up with headache, then try this remedy.
- Add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Optionally add honey and a splash of lemon juice to it.
- Drink this 2 or 3 times a day to get rid of Headache.
Lavender Oil for Headaches
Not only the Lavender oil smells great but also the best home remedy for headaches and migraine. It is also used as a mood stabilizer and sedative. Simply smelling the soothing scent of this essential oil gives quick relief for tension headaches. Remember that you should not take this essential oil orally.
How to Use:
- Put few drops of Lavender oil on a tissue or handkerchief and inhale it for 10-15 minutes.
- Otherwise, add two drops of this essential oil to two cups of boiling water and breathe in the steam.
- Another best option is to mix 2-3 drops of Lavender essential oil with 1 tablespoon of almond or olive oil and massage your forehead, temples, and back of your neck.
How to get rid of a Headache Naturally
The pain of a headache can make our day-to-day life a miserable challenge and urges us to head straight for the aspirin or some other drugs. Find natural ways to get rid of a headache. But How to cure headaches naturally? at home. However, you should know that there are plenty of natural remedies for headache that gives relief within half an hour. Among those, Hot and Cold compress are the best Home remedies for headache. You may use one of these remedies or alternatively between the two.
Headache Home Remedies using Ice Pack
The cold from ice helps reduce inflammation that contributes to headaches and also it has a numbing effect on the pain.
- Apply an ice pack to the back of your neck to get relief from a migraine headache.
- Otherwise, place a washcloth dipped in ice-cold water over your head for 5 minutes.
- Repeat the process several times to get rid of headaches.
- Alternatively, use a bag of frozen vegetables or peas or bag of ice as a cold compress.
- Place it on your forehead and relax. Just within half an hour, you will get relief.
How to help a Headache using Hot compress
To prepare a hot compress, take a clean towel and soak it in very warm water. Now Place the hot compress on your shoulders if your headache is from tension. Also, you believe it or not, by just soaking your feet in hot water also helps get rid of a headache. For a severe headache, add a bit of hot mustard powder to that water. You can also place a washcloth dipped in hot water over your head for about 5 minutes.
Next time when you or your family members or friends get a headache, suggest them to try one of these Home Remedies for Headache for fast relief.